So this morning Laurie Vitt, curator of reptiles, comes into my office and suggests we work together to create a series of children’s books featuring animals in natural environments. This when just yesterday I was saying I needed to find a way to use my wrting… synchronicity? Karma?
We’ll see if he ever really gets serious about it, but I’m definitely up for the project. Maybe I could write a dinosaur series with Rich Cifelli while we’re at it.
This afternoon: ice. Freezing rain, actually. But the drive up from Norman (at noon because they closed the university at 1:30) was excruciatingly slow. Glacier, in fact. Picture a line of cars 15 miles long, moving like an enormous slug at less than 5 miles an hour. At least I didn’t have to worry about sliding on the ice. I never got moving fast enough. It took me over an hour to get back to the city.
I picked up Grayson at school (a process involving yet another long line of slow-moving cars), and by the time we got home, Gray had received a message from the district saying that school has been cancelled tomorrow. So G and I will be kickin' it together tomorrow: hot chocolate, books, snacks and cartoons allllll day. I should be stark raving mad by 5:00.
I am hereby embarking once again upon a course of self-improvement. After an unspecified, and best not closely inspected period of hard drinking, I have decided it is necessary to cut back my wine consumption to human levels again If not for the health concerns, or the weight concerns, I need to do it for the cost. Hell, I could save more than $100 a month if I would just quit buying wine. 'Course, I have no intention of quitting buying wine... but cutting back would be a good thing.
So that’s step one. Step two is getting my workouts on schedule. That should be fairly easy to do, with the gym there at the apartments in addition to the YMCA. I am hereby reinstating Bikini Day. Erk. (For those who are unfamiliar with it, Bikini Day was, in my personal long-standing tradition, May 1, or, The-Day-You-Go-Try-On-Bikinis-Even-If-Your-Body-Is-Not-Ready-For-It.)
Step three: Eating healthy. I am going to do some cooking each Grayson-weekend so I’ll always have stuff in the freezer, and I’m going to make more of an effort to feed myself and my son real meals with real food. Think: vegetables. You know, green stuff.
Step four: Unplug. I need to stop checking facebook every 15 minutes and hovering over my various messaging devices. It might be okay for me to be out of touch for a few minutes. (This from the woman who used to forget to turn her phone on for days at a time.)
Step five: Write, practice, read, go, do, see, etc.
Step six: Girlfriends. More of them and more time with them.
There, I'm done resolving for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment