So my divorce was final on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday afternoon I learn from Gray that the heat is out upstairs at the house, and on Thursday evening that the heat and electricity is out downstairs, as well. It's 35 degrees in the house.
Well what could I do? Let the man freeze?
So I told him he could come here and sleep on the couch. Less than 36 hours after the divorce and my ex is sleeping at my house. Sigh.
My friends all find this wildly funny, of course. Me less so. I just want my own space. I want not to have to see his face every day for awhile. I am not bitter toward Gray, but there's been rather a lot of him lately.
Yesterday he had the heating and air guy and the electrician over to take a look. The heating guy said it was an electrical issue. The electrician jerry-rigged something so he'd have heat downstairs for the night, and is due to return today to do the job right. I've no idea how much it will cost, but whatever it is, I'll owe 40% of it.
I have managed thus far NOT to mention to Gray that this was exactly why we had set aside some money in a savings account before I left... to pay for things like this. The very same savings account, in fact, that he cleaned out in December to visit his Wow girl. No, I have not mentioned that to him.
Yesterday stunk for a variety of reasons. Not least of which was the fact that my plans to take a group of friends to Story Slam fell through completely. So I ended up watching Cabaret, drinking way too much wine, and firing off random text messages to Biff. I was having a little trouble reconciling myself to a quiet evening at home.
Tonight, however, I am girding my loins to face an evening full of kids. I told Grayson he could have a friend for a sleepover tonight if he wanted to, and I am prepared to be the Koolaid Mom. In the meantime, I am frantically trying to finish my book club book by Friday.
No comments:
Post a Comment