Went out last night with my dear friend Chris Barrett, home to see his family over the holidays. We closed down the restaurant and then moved on to Othello's and closed down the bar. It was a great evening. We just blathered on for hours, swilled beer and wine and enjoyed the company.
Chris is the sole friend I have retained from high school. Well, that's not literally true. I'm sure there are plenty of old friends from high school that I would still consider "friends" if I were to see them again. But Chris is the only one I have kept in touch with and maintained a relationship with through the years. We've been there for each other through a lot. We talked about some of that history last night, and about what happens next for each of us. He always makes me feel like I've got something to offer. I'm grateful for that.
We also ran into a few other familiar faces from high school while we were out – people in town to see family like Chris was. It felt like old home week.
I once again managed to drink way more wine than is strictly good for me. But this time at least I was able to stay away from the iTunes store. Today I'm just lounging. Gray leaves town for a week tomorrow, so I'll have the dogs back for a while. He's going to see a girl he met on World of Warcraft. I knew this, or guessed this, but I finally asked him about it today when he dropped Grayson off. He confirmed it.
I'd like to say it doesn't bother me, that I've moved on and he's welcome to live his life. But I'd be lying and everyone would know it. This girl is 13 years my junior. And she must be attractive, since we know Gray has such exacting standards in that department. And she plays WOW, so he must consider her cool and fun, which I of course never was. And though he wasn't technically "involved" with her prior to our split, they of course have had an online relationship for a long time, so she was likely part of the problem. I, at least, wasn't building a new relationship until AFTER the split.
I recognize how stupid it is to feel this way about it, but there it is. Well, what are you gonna do? We make our choices, we take our lumps, and we move forward. That's all we can do. So I just put my head down and plow on.
No comments:
Post a Comment