Friday, October 17, 2008

Girls Night

Good morning. Okay, morning. Don't know about the good.
Maybe that last glass of wine last night was not as good an idea as it seemed at the time.
I went out for "a drink" with my good friend and cousin-in-law Lisa last night. She said she had heard of this great little bar in midtown, right on the roundabout at Walker. So we met there at 6:30. The little bar was about the hoppin'est place in town. Three floors of a renovated "flatiron" building, packed wall to wall with what appeared to be everybody who was anybody in midtown Oklahoma City. But we squeezed into a table and shouted our conversation over the hubbub... for the next FIVE HOURS. I was shocked when I got home and discovered it was 11:00!

It was a perfect girls night. We laughed, we cried. We divulged confidences. We flirted with the waiter. We were catty about the women on the floor below us over the balcony. We made wise observations about the nature of men and relationships. We drank red wine and cosmos and ate nothing but artichoke dip and pita chips. Ahhh. I needed that.

I'm home alone the next few days. When I got home from work last night there was a note taped to the front door with blue painters' tape: "Dear Mom: Don't forget to feed Leny at 9 p.m. Love Grayson" "Leny" is the goldfish. Grayson takes his care and feeding very seriously.

So I dutifully fed Leny before I left for the bar. A little ahead of schedule, but he did get fed. He didn't get fed his usual food, however. I had to scrounge up an old jar of bloodworms to give him. Grayson has a bad habit of leaving the top off the fish food jar and the cats knock it over and eat it. Guess it tastes fishy.

I have decided that I'm in the wrong business. Yesterday I called to get some information about doggy day care and drop-in visits, in case it proves too much to try to keep the dogs in the apartment all day. It costs $18 a visit to have them come to your place and walk your dogs for half an hour. $18!! Do the math at $36 an hour: That's nearly $70,000 a year for dog walking! Man, I think it's time for a career change.

The new carpet looks nice. Bland, but nice. It smells all clean like new carpet. Check that off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment