Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In Which I Receive A Bitter Dose of Reality

I called a mortgage lender today, AND my insurance agent, to get real-life figures on what my monthly payment would be if I bought the house on 22nd street in 6 months. The answer? Too Much. With Private Mortgage Insurance, Taxes and Homeowners Insurance, my monthly payment, which looks so doable when it only covers principle and interest, ends up somewhere between "Ouch" and "PING!"

It is just not possible. I am depressed. I had to call up Cathy and tell her I was retracting my offer. She seemed bummed out, too.

So now my decision is made for me. I stay in the apartment until the house sells, then I look for a house in Norman that I can rent until hell freezes over or I save enough for a down payment, whichever comes first.

Bob called me today after lunch and I told him the news. He just said "I know."

"I knew that," he said. "But me and your dad, we knew we couldn't tell you that."

This is true. My dad just suggested that I get a real-life quote on what my monthly payment would be. He didn't suggest it wasn't possible, didn't try to change my mind... just gave me the facts. And Bob just looked at the house and said "I'd come visit you here." Both knowing there was no way I could afford it. Nice of them to spare me, I suppose. Thanks guys.

Okay, so I just get cozy in my apartment and try not to think about houses for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment