I stopped by Horn Seed Co. yesterday and picked up a few plants. Then I swung by the old house and hijacked some planters from the back deck and brought them back to the apartment. I hauled them upstairs and out onto the balcony and proceeded to plant my "garden."
There was a mixed feeling about doing so. Walking up and down the aisles of tiny little vegetable plants at Horns, I couldn't help but feel sad to think all the plants I wouldn't be buying this year... of my beautiful raised bed garden at the old house, sitting uncultivated and forlorn this spring... the herbs running wild, last year's dead and dried up old pepper and tomato plants collapsed in their beds. I felt like crying.
But instead I bought a pepper, a tomato, a basil plant, some mint and a rosemary plant, and planted each of them in their pots, watered them, and sat among them in the warm afternoon sunlight. This is my garden this year. I will grow veggies and herbs here on my balcony and enjoy the fruits of my labor, even without a full garden or a yard of my own to plant it in. I can't feel sorry for myself with so much to be glad of.
No comments:
Post a Comment