Friday, June 18, 2010

The Plot Thickens

The Adorable AC Repairman returned today. He's the one who came a few weeks ago to change the filters and fill up the freon and chastise me for having a piece of furniture in front of my intake vent. He returned today to fix the water leaking from the condensation pan.

But Wait! It gets better.

Last night I heard a very peculiar thumping sound from out back and I went out to investigate. The sound was coming from the outdoor fan unit of the AC. So I turned it off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on. Nothing. It was dead. So now we have a leaking condensation pan AND a dead fan thingumy outside. The temperature began to rise immediately and within an hour it was clear Grayson and I would be spending the night at my folks house last night... which we did.

Anyway, Adorable AC Guy did his best to fix both units today. He was there for more than two hours, went back to the shop three times for parts, and finally admitted defeat when something inside it blew up and shocked him. He showed me where a bunch of wires were all burned black and fused together. Yup. Definitely not fixable.

I called the lady who manages the property for the lawyer who currently holds the house in receivership, to tell her that it's time for a new unit and ask her how she wants to proceed... but have as yet received no response. It's going to cost an estimated $5800 to replace both indoor and outdoor units. Wow. Makes me glad for once that I don't own the property. That's the good news. The bad news is that the earliest they can install it is the end of next week.

Now, while it's admittedly a good thing that Adorable AC Guy will come back and be Adorable in my home again, I actually would prefer having air conditioning. Particularly since there are heat advisories for this weekend, with temperatures climbing into the triple digits. It's looking like I'm going to be spending some quality time with my parents....

No comments:

Post a Comment