Friday, May 14, 2010

Goof-ass pictures and other news

Yesterday and today are media preview days for the special exhibition "Chocolate" that opens at our museum on Saturday. I toured the Norman Transcript yesterday, and this morning, on the front page, above the fold: there I am.



Could this picture be any goofier? What am I doing? Singing "The Sound of Music?" Now don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for the front-page coverage of the exhibition. But that photo! Really?

Gack.

Tonight I have the pleasure of riding around Norman on the bus for three hours during the 2nd Friday Art Walk, handing out free chocolate and giving tickets to the exhibition to every tenth person that gets onboard. Ah, the life of a public relations person is so glamorous!

I'm a bit under the weather today for a few reasons. The first being that the weather itself is, frankly, pretty rotten. Rain rain rain all day. The second is that I'm doing battle with sinus allergies that are trying their best to morph into a full-blown sinus infection. I feel like someone stuffed an elephant up my nose. And finally I'm suffering from one (or maybe two) too many glasses of wine last night. I sat up too late talking with a friend, hashing over my decision to break things off with Bob.

I have been struggling with this for weeks, knowing in my heart that the relationship had completed its bell-curve, but being reluctant to call it quits. I like Bob. I'm very fond of him, and I will truly miss him. But the sense of connection had gone. It like... when you enter a new relationship, you have this cushion of romance to soften all the rough edges where you don't mesh together so well. But over time that cushion wears away, and you begin to feel those rough edges where your worlds or world views just don't connect. I had reached that point with Bob. I could see that while the worlds we live in may intersect, I couldn't live in that little space where they joined. I need someone to share more of my world with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment