Friday, May 2, 2008

A terrible tragedy...

I broke my camera. Yes, it's heartbreaking. I dropped it and now it no worky. So no new photos for a while. It's ironic that I am always so busy warning Grayson not to drop it and it's me who finally did it in.

It was starting to act a little wonky, anyway, but it did still take decent pictures. I'll see if I can get it fixed this weekend.

In the meantime, I'm flying blind.

This week I got my veggie and herb garden all put in. It's going to be beautiful. I planted the center section with herbs and mixed herbs, marigolds and pansies in with all the veggie beds to try to make it pretty and to encourage bees. Bees are disappearing, you know. I've actually considered beekeeping, but getting stung really sucks, so I decided against it. Last year I had a very hard time getting squash out of my squash vines because no bees came to polinate them. Then of course it was moot because the whole damn garden washed away in the Great Flood of 07.

I ordered 6 cubic yards of garden soil to fill the beds. Six cubic yards translates to one ginormous pile of dirt at the end of the driveway. I used about half of it. Now I have half a ginormous pile of dirt, and no place to put it. Looks like we're going to be finding some creative uses for dirt...expensive dirt...over the weekend. In the meantime, Grayson of course thinks it's fantastic fun, and spent quite some time digging to China on top of The Pile yesterday afternoon. The ducklings also padded about in it, leaving big flat footprints everywhere.

They do seem to be very energetic foragers, my ducklings. They dabble and noodle around at dirt, leaves, grass, plants. They snap at anything that moves. They eat grubs, worms, beetles, ants, gnats. But also the blossoms off my new impatiens. Hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment