We're going to Disney World! Yep, we've got our reservations made and everything. We're staying in the Port Orleans French Quarter resort, leaving June 13 and coming home the 18th. I'm like a little kid, I'm so excited. Grayson can't even talk about it. He says it gets him too excited and he can't talk about it yet. Yesterday we got our luggage tags in the mail. Disney has this express service that handles your luggage for you when you get to Orlando, and you get special luggage tags. I took them out and looked at them like a little kid.
This is our first ever real family vacation. Every time we've gone anywhere for the past eight years it has been to see family or traveling with family. Even last summer's trip to California, we traveled with my folks, so it wasn't the same as just a "family vacation." This time it's just us, with all of Disney to explore.
Today, however, we have a sick kid. Grayson woke up crying at about 5, running a temperature like a piece of toast. He had to be 101, 102 degrees. So Gray and I are taking it in shifts to stay home with him today. I have a voice over scheduled this morning, so I've got to go do that at 9, then I can come back home and spend the afternoon with the boy.
Tonight is "Math and Science Night" at the school, too, which is too bad. It's supposed to be a good family event, and Grayson is really good at math and science. I'm amazed sometimes at how well he does math. I have no idea where he got that. Certainly not from me. And I've never noticed any penchant for math or science in Gray, either. But Grayson just gets it, and he consistently gets grades over 92% on all his math homework.
Oh, another piece of news. Grayson is now officially a bike rider! While Gray's mom and Bill were here a couple of weeks ago, they chipped in to buy Grayson a brand new big-kid bike. It's really a nice one, but because it has gears it is not equipped to take training wheels. This turned out to be a blessing, because Gray took Grayson out earlier this week and taught him to ride. I was amazed at how quickly he took to it. Honestly, I expected the worst. Grayson is not much of a risk taker (to say the least), and does not like to fail. So I expected him to get discouraged and want to give up. But he had good success right away and in just two lessons with his dad, he's up and riding around. I was so proud of him I could pop, and so proud of the way Gray taught him that I could pop for him, too.
There was something about standing out in front of the school near our house, watching Gray run along beside Grayson as he rode his bike that just brought it all home to me how lucky I am. I have a great family: great husband, great kid. Grayson's face was lit up with his success, and Gray looked like such a proud, happy Dad. It was one of those daytime TV moments for me.
When I get my camera fixed, I'll get some pictures of Grayson on his bike.
Man, I hate not having my camera. I'm at sea without it. Still no word on whether or not it can be fixed. Sigh.
Duck update:
Ducks like rain. It's been raining the past couple of days and the ducks are in their element. They still have to stay inside during the day, but as soon as I get home in the evening, I take them out for playtime. They were loving the big puddles and the rain yesterday. That was fine as long as it was just the occasional sprinkle, but then it started really coming down and I was doing the duck rodeo in the front yard. They ran from me, those little bastards! I wish I had video of myself trying to round them up, but I did finally manage to coral them into their laundry basket to go back inside.
Gray poked his head into the Red Room where they live at present and just said "God damn! They're huge!" Yes, they're growing fast. I'm going to need to arrange for more spacious quarters for them soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment