
This is not my photo. I got it from Clipart.com. But I did see a live opossum today at lunch at Reeves Park in Norman. It came ambling across the road from some houses, through the ditch and along the edge of the park right in front of my car. It crossed the parking lot into another ditch, went up the other side and I was briefly afraid it was going to try to cross Jenkins, but it turned back into the ditch and disappeared into the drainage pipe.
I haven't seen a live opossum since I worked as a vet tech in North Carolina and we treated an injured mother 'possum with several babies on her back. The babies were utterly adorable and utterly fearless. They would come toodling right out of the carrier to us and we could hold them. They were absolutely the embodiment of Cute.
The mother, on the other hand, was pure Evil. She had a mouthful of needle-like teeth and a terrifying growling hissing snarling sound that you wouldn't think could come from such a relatively small animal.
This one was peacefully marching along, looking like an animal made up of leftover bits of lots of other animals. Pretty cute in a sort of ugly way. An unusual encounter for a Friday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment