Friday, October 10, 2014

I just found this post that I wrote almost literally one year ago and for some reason never published. After reading it, it still applies.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad.



Okay, I'm not going to whine anymore about getting older.  It's ridiculous.

Last night I was watching Copper, one of my favorite TV shows (on BBC America, where all the good shows come from), and heard a line I thought I should remember to keep things in perspective.  They had returned to the site of a battlefield where they had each been through terrible things, and when they were on their way back, one of the characters said "I'm so glad to be done with war."

It reminded me that whatever is going on in my heart or my head, wherever I find myself in life, I'm glad I'm not where I was before.  I'm glad to be done with war.

Then, today, another life lesson, this time from caterpillars.  It's Monarch season.  And the amazing grounds crew at the Museum has planted a nice way-station for Monarchs:  a nice big patch of milkweed, which is the only thing the baby caterpillars eat.  And it's swarming with them!  Now, I ask you, what's cuter than a tiny baby Monarch caterpillar?  Okay, my rats are, puppies are... but really, they're awfully darned adorable. And they're munching, munching, munching away, getting bigger and bigger, and very soon each of them will be making their beautiful gold-embellished chrysalis... and emerging as one of the most amazing creatures on the planet.

So I'm growing and changing, as well.  Going through something uncomfortable to emerge as something even better. Right?

Also, it's fun to get to show a couple of little boys on the trails that if they look, they will find a bunch of caterpillars. Because caterpillars make little boys happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment