Friday, October 24, 2014

Hashtag This

Earlier this week as I was driving and listening to NPR, I had a flash of insight.  I realized that I was getting really annoyed every time I heard them say "hashtag" or "Twitter."  That made me ask myself:  Why am I so annoyed?  What possible difference could it make to me?

I find the whole hashtag trend incredibly irritating, and I hope it passes soon.  Though initially designed to allow people to follow particular topics on various social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter (rrrrgh), for the most part they serve no communication purpose except  to comment on what the person posting them has just  posted.  Basically its being used as a way for someone to comment on their own comment. This is the sort of digital navel-gazing that makes me grind my teeth about social media.  Everybody's presenting the best self they can make up, shouting to everyone who will listen (and many who prefer not to) about how cool or progressive or connected they are.  It's a method of self-validation, or worse... passive-aggressive braggadocio.

"Now I need to go buy an expensive uniform for my adorable child to wear to the equally expensive and trendy school she was just accepted to!  #bigdealacademy #mykidsismarterthanyours "

Nobody ever even posts the reality of their daily lives, much less the corresponding hashtag telling you how to respond to it.  Imagine if you will:

"Saw myself naked in the mirror this morning and burst into tears. #imunlovable  #hatemyself."

or

"Had a fight with my husband over what to have for breakfast. #divorcepending #marriedandstilllonely."


There are several studies out now about how depressed Facebook can make you because you're "comparing your outtakes to their highlight reel."  (Apologies, I don't remember where that quote came from.) But I would argue that it's not even a highlight reel.  It's an imaginary reel in many cases.  The people in your Facebook feed who need or want to shore up their self image in some way will present themselves as joyfully and spontaneously taking part in whatever will seem to support that need, be it buying organic produce, photos of their family at their absolute best, or dining at the very latest restaurant (complete with photo of food and #proudfoodie or whatever).

I realize I'm a curmudgeon about this.   This is partly why I hope the trend fades.  Then I can stop being annoyed by it.

I told a friend about this little episode and how it made me feel sort of like technology trends were leaving me behind because they get on my nerves so much.  She said "You're just putting that limitation on yourself.  Let it go. You can say you don't choose to participate, but it's not leaving you behind, you're just not taking part."

Positive-thinking people really get on my nerves...



No comments:

Post a Comment