Wednesday, April 18, 2012

CRUNCH.

So, I've had my car for about seven years now and never had an accident. Never even bumped into anything.  And now I've gone and done it twice in 24 hours.

The first time was Monday night. I was pulling out of a parking space at John's. I turned too sharply as I was backing out and crunched my right front bumper into the side of his sister's van.  It made a really horrible noise * CRRRrrRRUnCCCH * and I looked up to discover that I'd transferred a good part of the paint from my bumper onto the door guard along the side of her van.

oops.

I was, naturally, horrified, despite John's assurances that it was no big deal and the damage inflicted was nothing compared to the damage still extant on the opposite side of the van where a deer had jumped into it. (you should see the deer...)   Still... this is not the sort of impression I wanted to make.

John took a sort of wicked glee in reporting the incident to his sister and pointing out that I was in no way intoxicated at the time:  a fact that, I'm afraid, doesn't make my driving look any better. I should at least have the mitigating excuse of being a couple of sheets into the wind if I'm going to run into people's cars. He also took a certain evil pleasure in tricking me the next morning into believing that Rian was "really really mad" at me for the accident.  She wasn't, by the way, because she's  sweetheart, but I bought her a bottle of wine in apology anyway, and attached a poem composed for the occasion:

Roses are red
You work in a bar
I'm sorry I crunched
Your car with my car



Now that I think about it,  the whole incident was partly John's fault.  He was capering about in the parking lot, distracting me.  Surely he should take some of the blame.


So...  yesterday I scraped the opposite bumper on a concrete footing at the gas station:  you know, the kind of thing they put up to keep you from ramming your car into the gas pumps.  My poor car, on which I still owe just under $1,000, has now suffered two indignities at my hands, and bears scars that make me look like I drive into things all the time.

Which I don't!  Honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment