Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dead in the Water

Still stalled out on the writing. No excuse, just stalled.

Once again I'm resolving to Do something with my life: get off my ass, make something of myself. At least get into shape... and not the shape I'm headed for at present, which is sort of bulbous and squishy. (She heaves a great sigh). So once again I'm off to the gym, which I despise, because otherwise I'm just going to degenerate into a great glob of goo, which won't make me feel very nice about myself, and lord knows I need all the help in that department I can get.

We killed a crab, already. Oh, had I not mentioned the crabs?

I allowed Grayson to adopt two fiddler crabs from his classroom at school. They seemed easy enough to take care of. A little salt water, some banana and dried shrimp... But one of them died within a week. I think it got too hot for them. In typical fashion, as I was trying to do good, I accomplished the exact opposite. I put a warming light on the tank, and it got up to 100 degrees in there... a temperature Mambo probably would have loved, but it was too much for poor Neil, one of the two male fiddlers. Now we are left with only King... who is King of no one now that he doesn't have Neil to push around anymore. Just chalk it up to the long list of creatures I have killed in the name of providing unusual pets for my son, who cried when I told him Neil was no more, and I wanted to kick myself for, once again, breaking his heart.

Gray told me, when I mentioned adopting the crabs, that I don't have a very good history with non-mammalian pets and maybe I should think twice about adopting more. He was right, it seems.

Today King is still alive. I checked. He's boring as all hell. They don't do anything. I never even catch him eating anything. I think they're even more boring than Mambo was.

Today it's windy and I've got nervous dogs to deal with. I don't know what it is about wind that turns Kobi into a neurotic mess, but I've noticed lately that storms, or even just wind, make her very quivery and clingy. It would be sweet if it wasn't so damned annoying. All morning I was shoving her off my lap, or trying to get comfortable with her lying on my chest, panting into my face while I tried to hold a book to read over her shoulder. She's usually such a cheeky little thing, it surprises me to see her come to pieces that way. I finally gave up reading, just to escape her.

Lately, she gets to drive around in the car a lot. She's always out of the yard, and the fastest way to collect her is to simply stop at the side of the road and let her climb into the car and go with you wherever you happen to be going. Consequently, she gets to ride around a lot, but she also spends a certain amount of time cooling her heels in parking lots. The wages of sin, I suppose. I really should fire up the electric wire on the fence again, to keep her in. But it freaks FLower out so much, that I'm reluctant.

Off to the gym now, armed with a new book on my iphone to hopefully keep me entertained enough to keep me there for the required hour. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment