Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why I'm tempted to kill Roxy


Okay, have I mentioned that Roxy is really sweet dog? Really sweet. She's not aggressive, doesn't pee in the house, and loves me and my boy. Okay. Did I say that? Good.

She's. Driving. Me. NUTS.

Sunday night I actually MADE DINNER for Grayson. This is news. I made dinner from real ingredients. I cooked up some nice tilapia fillets, steamed some broccoli, and made some nice brown rice. I put Grayson's plate on the table and called him to dinner, turned around to pick up my own plate, and when I turned back around...
Grayson's plate was empty.

No, not quite EMPTY. She'd left the broccoli. But in under 20 seconds she had caused an entire tilapia fillet AND a piece of bread with butter completely disappear. The top of my head flew off and I began speaking in tongues. I was obliged to scramble an egg to feed my son, while my own dinner grew cold (I had used red pepper on my own tilapia, so it was too spicy for G, or I would naturally have just surrendered my own fillet to him).

Then last night, at about 2:30 in the morning, we had ourselves a dog fight.

I had purchased rawhide bones for the dogs, there being a shortage on cow hooves. (See earlier post here.) Rawhides are less desirable because for some reason Kobi and Roxy will not always actually chew them up, but often just walk around guarding them, or, in Kobi's case, "burying" them in the sofa or behind the bed. At bedtime I had taken one of the remaining rawhides away from Kobi so she wouldn't stay up all night watching it. But apparently Roxy still had one hidden somewhere.

At 2:30 Roxy came in asking to go outside, and when I stirred, Kobi jumped down from the bed. Moments later.... all hell broke loose.

In the dark hallway, sudden escalating growls and barks, snarling and then repeated high pitched cries from Kobi as she proceeded to get her butt chewed. I lept out of bed and threw myself into the fray, grabbing Roxy's collar where she had Kobi pinned to the floor and hauling her away. I scooped up Kobi, expecting to find her ears dangling by a thread and blood dripping from wounds all over her, but no. Thank god, it was all sound and fury. Apparently in the dark Kobi had made a grab for Roxy's rawhide... and Roxy wasn't having it. Okay, I understand, but seriously! It scared the living bejeezus out of Grayson and me both!

I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the occasional fights, the food theft, the refusal to go outside (which is now infecting Flower, as well), the door charging, the constant barking, the clawing of doors and window frames and the chewing up of socks, washcloths, toys and anything ball-shaped. I've had it, I tell you. Had it.

But then I go home and she tucks those ears back and gives me that look. Sigh. Okay. She can stay. ONE more day. One more day....

No comments:

Post a Comment