Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bird sightings and funny things people do


I must be hyper aware of birds for some reason this week. I keep noticing whole flocks of robins in the yards across the street from me. They are all puffed up, foraging for food as I drive to work in the morning.

This morning I drove under a tree full of crows on Chautauqua. They glared at me, cockeyed, the way crows do, then shrugged me off.

Most spectacularly, however, was the red-tailed hawk that swooped right down over traffic on Boyd Street yesterday as I was driving home. It glided about six feet over the tops of the cars for a couple of blocks and then pulled up and perched atop a telephone pole, bold as brass. Can't imagine what it was scoping for in 5:00 traffic.

This morning, on a completely different note, I noticed a big black dog running down the sidewalk alongside the museum. It was a Belgian shepherd: a huge, beautiful animal, half again as tall as a regular German shepherd, and running full-out. It came around the front of the building just as I was waiting at the light going into the parking lot and I remember saying "You shouldn't be running out here, big guy."

About this time, a woman in a huge SUV pulls into the lot ahead of me and stops. The dog stops, too, panting on the grass. The woman waves me and another car around her and then turns around. I thought "aha! She's chasing her dog." But she drives back out onto Chautauqua, and the dog takes off as well, running alongside the car on the sidewalk. I watched her turn left onto a side-street, dog loping along, and out of sight.

I mentioned it to the museum guards and they said "Oh, yeah, she does that every day." Guess it's her way of walking her dog.

People are funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment