Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In which I'm placed on the DHS Watch List

Got a letter yesterday from Grayson's school telling me that I'm in non-compliance with state law because my son has been late to school 23 days this year.

23 days. We live about 7 blocks from the school!! How can I be getting him to school late that many days?? I feel like a complete slug. How many tardies can he get before they send DHS to take him away?

It's just one in a long list of things that seem to be sliding away from me these days. I got on the scale at the doctor's office yesterday only to realize, to my horror, that I'm almost up to my pre-divorce weight. Ug. The one good thing I got out of my divorce was a 15-pound weight loss! Now I've gained ten of it back? How is that fair?

At work we missed the deadline on the production of the newsletter, and both my assistant and I got called on the carpet by the director to receive the Long Cold Stare. Why did we miss the deadline? I dunno. Just did.

Last night, in my self-pitying funk, I downed an entire bottle of wine. So much for my pledge of cutting back on my drinking. Why? I dunno.

This morning as I was brewing coffee and looking at the dishes I didn't do last night I thought "enough." Really. I can't just let everything slide! I've got to take care of business whether I care about it or not.

In my defense, it's not all caused by depression and inertia. This is partly the Almost-Christmas Give-a-Shits. I'm mentally already on Christmas break. I would rather be watching holiday specials and wrapping presents.

One good piece of news, at my doctor's appointment yesterday I finally achieved an appointment with the rheumatologist. I was referred in JULY. My appointment is in February. What's a seven month wait?

Actually, apparently they called my cell some time in August and their records show that they left a message. I did not receive this message, but perhaps I just didn't recognize the number so I didn't listen to it. Sheesh. Again -- inaction. But at least I'll finally know what's going on with that lupus test.

So, in the spirit of the approaching New Year, and in the shadow of the Epic Fail my existence has been the past few months, I will hereby make an early resolution:

As Gawd is my witness, I will no longer let things slide. I will tackle deadlines, get up ten minutes earlier, get my exercise and eat my veggies. I will Do Everything Right. Or at least stop Hakuna Matata-ing myself into a hole.

So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment