Windpower.
Every day this week I have seen huge flat-bed trucks hauling the blades for these giant wind turbines north on I-35. Always three, one right after the other, heading for the new windfarms.
This photo was taken at the one at Weatherford on I-40. There are two things we have plenty of here in Oklahoma: land and wind. A match made in heaven.
It's impressive to see them as they drive by: they're enormous! Just a single blade is as long as a tractor-trailer. It might be a little weird to live near a wind farm. At night the aircraft lights on their tops all blink in unison, like some sort of UFO signaling station.
Tonight is Book Club night. The ladies of the club affectionately refer to it as "Wine Club," if that makes the true nature of the event any clearer in your mind. The book of the night is The Cure for Death By Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz. It was good, if not particularly plot-heavy. Much more character driven. But I could still recommend it as a good read. This is not, unfortunately, true of all our book club reads. The last one, frankly, stank. Eat, Pray, Love (Vomit). I hear there are now whole web sites dedicated to actively despising this book. A perfect example of chic lit at its worst. Whiny, weepy self-obsessed blah blah blah.
I'm currently reading Apocalypse 2012, by Lawrence E. Joseph. I have a fascination for End of the World scenarios. I am a complete sucker for those "Mega Death" documentaries on the Discovery channel: SuperVolcano! Mega Flood! Tsuper Tsunami! I love to learn about all the ways we could cease to be. Apocalypse 2012 lines up all the theories, scientific and otherwise, about why 2012 will be a life-changing, if not life-ending year for the Earth. End of the Mayan calendar, Crazed Sunspots, Magnetic Pole Reversal, Supervolcano at Yellowstone (one of my personal favorites), and of course, the ever-popular meteor impact. I love this stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment