Monday, January 28, 2008

In Which I Meet Sandra Day O'Connor

I had the immense privilege of giving a speed-tour of the museum's Archaeology exhibits to former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor last week. She was in town for the investiture of a 10th Circuit court judge and presided over a huge evening event at the museum the night before the ceremony. Apparently the place made a positive impression, because she made a point of stealing a half an hour from the following day's luncheon event to stop by and take a peek.

Peter, the museum's Associate Director, and I gave her the tour. Before she arrived, I was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs (as my father would say). But once she arrived, she was so perfectly charming and delightful that it was easy to be comfortable with her.

She took delight in the museum's glass elevator, was completely fascinated by the archaeology exhibits, and asked real questions as we tooled her around. She was friendly and warm and personable, and clearly had a real interest in natural history. Unlike a number of dignitaries I've toured who are clearly just following their tour schedule. She was wonderful.

Now we hear that President Clinton may be making a swing by the museum before or after his stump speech for Hillary on Wednesday. I thought my assistant was going to wet her pants when she heard that. She literally got red faced, started to giggle, and had to fan herself to cool down! I told her we would not allow her to meet President Clinton if she was going to giggle.

It would be very cool to get to meet him, however, and to tour him through the museum. I'll feel like such a big wig, with all this meeting of dignitaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment