Friday, July 5, 2013

What we choose to do with the rest of our lives

I've been through too much in the past few years to even consider having a mid-life crisis.  BUT...

Recently I got the word that a couple of my old high school pals... who are already doing amazing things out in the world... are taking part this summer in the Mongol Rally.  If you have not heard of it, it's an annual 8500-mile race from London to the capitol of Mongolia in a teeny tiny car to raise money for charities. It's sure to be the adventure of a lifetime.

It's not one I will ever enjoy.

My friend Ben talked about it to the students at Quartz Mountain this summer, and posted this great video of his talk:  http://vimeo.com/69668154.  It reminded me of what an amazing guy he already is and always has been, and I was both proud to be his friend and a little sad that I didn't grow up to be as cool as he is or do any of the super cool things he has done.

I have many friends from high school who went on to do and be cool things and people. And I'm fortunate to have had them in my life. There's my high school best friend Wendi who's practicing psychology in San Francisco, friend and another former Quartz Mountain student Amy who's a minister in Washington DC, my dearly beloved Chris, who's a computer genius of some sort that I'm not quite smart enough to understand in Raleigh, NC (he's going with Ben on the Mongol Rally, by the way), and my best friend from junior high school, Amy in Norman Oklahoma who works with kids who are abused and neglected. All from my high school years.

Since then I've been fortunate enough to make other amazing friends:  Mary, a former nun my mother's age who shoots photographs and greets life with a warm smile every day. Jin, a woman made from grit and glory who simply won't take no as an answer from life and reminds me every time I see her what it means to be a friend; Nick, a paleontologist and gentle man in every true sense of the word, and Michael, a dear friend who's a gifted singer-songwriter, one of the most genuine and caring individuals I have ever met, and all around fabulous positive person.

I'm proud to be in their company, even though most of the time I'm not, as they all live elsewhere.  Even so, it's good to know that all of these great people call me friend, and would be glad to see me if I showed up at their door.

I was feeling low about not being the sort of person who will ever go on the Mongol Rally.  And then I realized that these friends of mine are amazing people whom I love... not because of what they DO... but because of who they ARE.  They are good-natured, humorous, humble and devoutly human people. If they were all puffed-up jackasses, it wouldn't matter WHAT they were doing.  I wouldn't admire or care for them. If all any of them ever did was tend their garden and bird-watch... I would STILL be wowed by their points of view, their insight, and their gift for caring about people and making things make sense.

Perhaps it's not too late for me to have global adventures. But even if I never do, I hope I can approach my life with the same amount of dedication and passion that these folks do.  We make choices as we go along, and sometimes choices are made for us and we have to adapt. It has taken me more than 40 years, but I'm finally writing for a living... something everyone around me always said I would do, since before my own days as a student at Quartz Mountain. I live and work in a beautiful place. I raise my wonderful son with as much love and wisdom as I can muster, and apologize when I get it wrong.

I'll watch every bit of information I can get from Ben and Chris as they make their journey across the world. It will be full of humor and character and great photographs and cool experiences... because that's the sort of people they are.

I'll be there in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment