Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More Toads

I went home at lunch today to take my boy a sandwich (I have found that when I don't go home to feed him, Grayson eats nothing but Cheezits and orange Fanta all day). When I opened the back door to let the dogs out, this fat toad was sitting on the lintel, as if it was waiting to be let in.  


I of course picked him up, because that's what I do when I see a toad.  And Grayson and I passed him back and forth for a minute or two before he hopped out of our hands and began bouncing around the kitchen floor. We hustled him out into the garden and I refilled the little toad swimming pool I've set up out there for the tiny toadlets. Looks like I'll need a larger pool!

The Herps of Arkansas website tells me that, since this guy's glands on the back of his head are kidney shaped and separated from his eye ridges, he (or she, I have no idea how one sexes a toad) is an American Dwarf Toad. 

I like to know my toads. 





No comments:

Post a Comment