I knew I needed to publish a more upbeat post hard on the heels of the last one, lest folks worry about me. So here you go:
Monday, as I was walking to my car after work, I heard the tree frogs. Yes, it's February. I think they were Spring Peepers. It might have been this Cajun Chorus frog, though. Maybe both! You can hear their calls (as well as the call of a bunch of other frogs) at this awesome Arkansas herpetology site: http://www.herpsofarkansas.com/Frog/HomePage
I love the sound of tree frogs. Especially these that start so absurdly early in the year. It's like a promise of spring to come. And you just can't feel sad when you realize there are a million little frogs up in the trees, singing their little hearts out. Even in the cold and damp, they just gotta sing!
If I was as true to my nature as these little frogs were to theirs, what would I be doing? I like to think I'd be reading books, writing, planting things, playing with puppies and other small animals, making big pots of stew, walking in the forest, watching birds, snuggling, telling stories, sipping wine, listening to music, laughing, drinking coffee, helping turtles across the road, turning over rocks to look for salamanders, catching toads, smelling flowers, loving.
I should practice being true to my nature.

No comments:
Post a Comment