I've had an epiphany. A real Saul-on-the-road-to-Damascus freakin' revelation. You want to hear it? Of course you do.
I am incredibly. Out of Shape.
Wow. Really. No, I'm not kidding. It is absolutely true. I know this because I had a revelation. It was yesterday. At the gym. In a step-aerobics class.
First of all, some backstory:
When I was in my late twenties and early thirties, I was a step-aerobic queen. I went to a high-intensity class three times a week and I dominated it. I raised my step to the highest setting, and I went hell-bent-for-leather the whole 55-minute class-period. I was so hard-core that (bear with me, this was in the nineties, remember) I even had a thong leotard. Yeah, that's right. A thong. (We wore bike shorts underneath, of course, but ... still ...what was I thinking??)
So, when I decided lately that I needed to get a bit more exercise, I chose the step class because I figured, with muscle memory and all, I'd be able to get my groove back fairly quickly.
Holy Mother of God! Within 15 minutes, I was thoroughly winded. In 20 minutes my heart was revved up like Greased Lightning at the starting line and I was starting to lose coordination. In 25 minutes I had to take a break, walk around a bit, get some water, try not to throw up.
It was, in all honesty, somewhat alarming. I seriously thought I might be in danger of having a heart attack! I was modifying everything waaaaaay down and still breathing like a distempered work horse, my heart all cattawhampus in my chest and feeling light-headed and shaky. It concerns me that at age 45, my heart is already such a pussy.
So, that was my epiphany. It's one thing to be out of shape, but it's quite another thing to realize that your heart is out of shape. I realized if I keep on like I have been, I'm going to just continue to get weaker and weaker until I wind up a wizened old woman, curled up like a C and tottering about looking at the ground, wheezing.
So ... I've decided I must take evasive action. I think if I keep going to this godawful class at least twice a week, I should be able to at least finish the workout, without stopping to put my heart back in my chest, in about three weeks. I'm determined to get to that point. I should at least be able to get through the workout. For the sake of my eleven-year-old son, I need to keep my heart alive for a few more years.
No thong leotard though. I absolutely draw the line there.
No comments:
Post a Comment