Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm getting my hair cut later today. I love having a haircut appointment... it's like waking up on Saturday morning, all full of the possibilities of the weekend ahead. On Saturday morning, as you're drinking your coffee and pondering the day... all things are possible. The whole realm of relaxation, accomplishment and entertainment spreads out before you like a Las Vegas buffet. It's the same with a haircut appointment. In my mind I have every possible hairstyle waiting for me in their respective alternate universes... waiting to see which way I will jump.

Too bad my hairdresser can't snip away ten pounds and ten years while she's at it. Think of all the possibilities that would open up.

I've been browsing Hair magazines, studying my face in the mirror, holding my hair up to remind myself of what I look like with short hair. Pondering my eyebrows. This is the cusp. This is the threshold of the New Me. What will I be?

One of the characters in Queens Logic, one of my favorite movies, says "Change ya hair, change ya life." If only it was that easy! But it feels like it, when you're pondering the leap. It feels like, if you just choose the right haircut, you'll walk out of that salon a New Woman. And everything will fall into place.

Sigh. So, I'm thinking about hairstyles, and which one the New Woman I wish to be would wear. Though I know I have to choose something easy, because, sadly, the New Woman won't be any more organized in the morning than the Old one. And it has to be something suited to fine hair, because the New Woman won't have any better hair than the Old one. And it has to be something not too stuffy but not too edgy, because the New Woman, like the Old, is pushing 45 and doesn't want to look like she's Desperately Trying To Be 25 Again. So the number of possible alternate universes constricts. Still.... I have until 4 p.m. to revel in the realm of the Possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment