I'm getting an unexpected day off today. Last night after dinner Grayson suddenly started to complain of a stomache ache. Yup, by 9:00 he was throwing up.
It's a miserable combination of irritation, exhaustion and heartbreak to sit up with a barfing kid. When his tummy starts to hurt, he whimpers and whines, which is heartbreaking and irritating at the same time. Then there's the drama and ick of him actually throwing up, then the clean-up -- fresh trash bags, clean rag to wipe his face, etc. And then just enough of a lull in-between barfs that I start to fall asleep, only to be irritated awake by another round of whimpering.
The worst of it, I think, is that there is just nothing I can do to make him feel any better. A tummy bug just has to be endured, and kids get it at least once a year. In the past couple of years I have finally built up enough immunity to manage NOT to get it myself about 2/3 of the time, but it's still a crap-shoot. I figure if I'm still healthy this time tomorrow, I've dodged the bullet.
Meanwhile, I'm washing everything the kid has touched in hot water, including everything on the bed, towells, pajamas, and himself. Changed his toothbrush, everything.
He's feeling better... playing his Nintendo DS and watching Blues Clues in his PJs. I'm hoping to coax him into a nap later this afternoon.
Tomorrow is a holiday... Oklahoma Statehood Day. Hoooeee. I'll be giving the big festivities a miss. Grayson will be back in school, Gray will be home, and we'll be lounging around doing nothing for a day. Now that's what I call a holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment